You can download and print the activity here
YOU WILL NEED
- A sheet of paper or a page in your sketchbook
- Scissors, pencil and pens
- Mark making objects -coloured pencils, paints or pastels
( if you make yourself a cup of tea keep the teabag to hand)
- A jar or box to keep your prompts in
This activity gives a random and spontaneous element to creativity and is a great exercise if you have difficulty getting started or making the first mark. You can use this to loosen up and just get going!
See bottom of page for our 21mark making ideas for 2021
- Cut out each of the squares, fold them and put them into a dish. (scroll down to see the prompts)
- Pick one out at random then use it to create something on your page
- When you have finished pick another prompt and have a go at that one, until you have had a go at all 21 prompts
- You can do them all in one go, or space them out so you do one a day or whenever you feel in the mood
- You can do a different page for each prompt or combine them all on one glorious page and you can also repeat each prompt multiple times if you are enjoying it. If you’re not sure how to tackle any of the ideas just have a go, or simply move on to another one instead
Don’t worry about your end result being perfect. Let yourself become absorbed in the process. Think of it as directed doodling and lose yourself in the page. We hope you enjoy yourselves.
*Note* If you find scissors difficult for any reason you could close your eyes and place your finger randomly onto the sheet.